Friday, September 26, 2008

Inspiring...

Today is Friday and we finished a bit early. The last group of children were unable to make it from school to the dental clinic. A great chance to get a post up!

Yesterday was a long, but fun day. We of course were at the dental clinic all day, but took a break around lunch to go to a HEART WEEP center. I don't even know where to begin. These women started working at WEEP when they were very sick, hungry, and unable to care for their children and any other children in their family. All the women that work at WEEP have AIDS. But now they have learned a trade (they make school uniforms for a program HEART puts on for schools upcountry and sweaters, soap and shirts) and are so strong and confident. They were so happy to see us and told us a little bit about them. How many children they have, that Vickie has saved them, and that they love working at WEEP. There are no words for them either. They are amazing women doing great things for themselves, their families, and their community.

Our group left by 3 and stopped at Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club (I know, what a contrast...). Yes, there are country clubs in Nairobi, and they will give American country clubs a run for their money! You can go from the slums in the morning, to an absolutely beautiful club or home in the evening. And that's just what we did last night. The Danish team came along with us in the HEART Land Cruiser so they could shower at the Lodge with us instead of going all the way back to the hotel in downtown Nairobi. It worked out nicely and we were on our way to the U.S. Deputy Ambassador's residence. Absolutely beautiful home, like out of a movie. There were several white tents set up, tall tables with flowers and candles, and open bar (including wine and Tusker, a favorite African beer). Nick (the founder of Community Transformers, and my new buddy) and Pastor Lou (from California, also staying at the HEART Lodge) came with us. I was very excited Nick came because I really wanted him to meet as many people as possible. He needs the exposure. I believe in his organization and what it is doing for the community of Mathare. In Mathare, they say as many as one in three could have HIV. Nick thinks there are approximately 2 million people living in Mathare. Nick was able to talk to me a little about where he has come from and where he has been and wants to go... he was raised in Mathare and his parents died when he was very young. Many of his family members have AIDS and some have died from AIDS-related diseases. He understands what life is like there and what the struggles are, and he wants to change it. He opened a rescue center for children, started Community Transformers, is part of the VCT team, does home-based care, makes sure children go to school and take medication if they need to. He also takes people to the hospital if they are unable. Children are very near to his heart, and he has the dream of a generation free of HIV and AIDS. Every day when he goes out there to do VCT, he hopes he will get more and more people to come. The more people that come, the more he and the others can help. It's so difficult to put this all on paper... but when Nick talks, you know he truly loves his people and that he wants to do everything he can to help them. I really want to try and do something for him and his organization. I told him I can try to get an article he writes in a journal for exposure, or send over some books or supplies, even help get him to a conference in the United States. He's never been, but when I told him he can stay with me, he was so happy and so excited.

After the deputy ambassador's house, we went to the district governor's house. Another mini mansion. We had dinner there and were recognized again for our efforts. Geeta Manek is head of the Rotary group 9200 in Nairobi, and it was her home. She is a wonderful woman, and very sincere and hardworking.

This morning I sat with Nick in the CT office (with Maria on my lap) and he told me a little more about what he is feeling and how he was so happy I introduced him to some people last night. He is so inspiring (I think I keep saying this over and over again, but there are just no words to express how proud I am of this young man. He is only 26 years old and changing a community with the help of a few friends. These guys could very easily be doing something else and have nothing to do with the good of the community. Colins, for example, is only 23. I didn't have a job at 23. I was living with my parents, looking for a job, working at the golf course... hardly a feat compared to them...) He showed me the book where they keep track of everyone they test, so far this week, they have tested about 150. Nick said he was in Mathare around 6:00 this morning trying to find a place for VCT to be today. He has to walk around and look for empty rooms or spaces, and ask the people around if he can use it. Incredible. He is so proud of what he does, and he continues to fight for healthy Kenyans. David, another guy from California sat with him and Leah for a while showing them some things on Excel. They just received computers from HEART and are just learning how to use them. I am going to work with them a little more while I am here to make sure they will be able to keep their finances straight for the remainder of the year with their grant. We hope they will earn another grant for next year.

Well, I wish I could write more, but sometimes there are no words for what these all of these people are doing. I am so happy to have met them. We are planning on keeping in touch, and I hope I can come back again soon to see how they are doing.

Tonight we are going to the hotel for another reception. Nick, Colins, Paul, Eric and Stephen are all invited. I'm REALLY excited for it :) I like to show them off. It seems the other teams are not having the same interaction we are, and I am very grateful for that! It's amazing how much you learn about everything Kenya when having a conversation with someone who is from here... I can't wait to see what the next few days will bring.

See you!
Alexandra

No comments: