Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mutatus, a party and toothbrushes

Jambo!!

It wouldn't be right if I didn't make at least one comment on Nairobi traffic. The notorius Mutatus (Moo-tah-toos) are all over the place. Someone told me there are over 40,000 in Nairobi. They are these mini buses that are pimped out, and I'm not joking. They have systems and are always blaring music (Ruby-style, to all of you who know what I'm talking about!), have decals all over them with pictures of Ciara, Kayne West, Snoop Dogg, Bob Marley, etc. They also have sayings on the windshields- for example "Lo Ryder", "Smooth", "Luscious." It's hilarious. They also have neons inside, so at night, they glow... They are always packed with people, with children on people's laps, all schmooshed in! Add them to crazy traffic, road lines missing from most streets, no crosswalks, people walking and riding bikes everywhere... and you get a recipe for disaster! I don't want to forget to mention the people who CUT THROUGH the round-a-bouts!! Or the Mutatus that go the wrong way on a one way. There are no red lights. There are hardly any cops.

I think my last post was right before the reception at the Kenya Comfort Hotel Suites with all of the other volunteers at the other sites and our lovely Kenyan volunteers. I was so excited to spend the night with Stephen (of Hope Worldwide), Elizabeth (a nurse), Paul, Nick and Collins. I sat between all of them and we had a great time. It was definitely the best night so far. Nick and Collins are hilarious- they act like brothers. I want to take all of them home with me in my suitcase :) I really enjoy their company. They have such positive outlooks and their caring attitudes are addicting! They are amazing young adults...

I met Carl Good at the hotel Friday night and talked him in to joining us in Mathare so he could talk to Nick about his programs and see their VCT site. I was happy for Nick, because I think Carl has a pretty big influence on HIV testing, and I want Nick to get as much exposure as possible for his organization. Carl came on Saturday and said he was really glad to see the VCT and what they are doing on the ground. I can't wait to put my video up on YouTube of the skits they do to catch the attention of the passer-bys.

Yesterday (Saturday) was tough waking up. Luckily, the doctors finished up with the clinic really early. Fay and I were just outside Mathare helping some dental students distribute over 1,000 toothbrushes and pens to some school children for most of the day. The students also gave demonstrations on brushing teeth, some oral hygeine and William (one of the HEART drivers) gave a demonstration on hand washing. It was a great experience and wonderful to see how all the kids reacted. They were all so excited to get a toothbrush and a pen. Hope Worldwide donated milk, bread and other refreshments for the children and helped us organize all the kiddies.

When we got back to CT from the school yard, William helped us load everything into the Land Cruiser and the Danish team came with us so they could shower at HEART before the Gala that was put on by the District Governor. We were almost to Lord Errols (an amazing restaurant where we wanted to stop for a drink before showering) and William rear-ended someone. The car was a small Rav-4, and the HEART truck is massive with a big bar on the front. No damage was done to our truck, but the Rav-4's rear windshield shattered and made a pretty nasty dent in the back. The guy in the Rav-4 works for the UN, so he was able to get a hold of the cops quickly. Apparently, it could take up to 3 hours for a cop to show up. It was a mess. We caused quite the traffic jam! One of the cops even bribed William- that if he didn't give up 1000 shillings, he would take him to jail overnight!!! Crazy! We finally made it to Lord Errols, had a drink on the terrace (another amazing place, in contrast to the slums) then went back to HEART to get ready. We went to a hotel in downtown Nairobi for the Gala. It was very nice. I sat with a group from Pennsylvania- Peter, Andy and Amrita. They were all really nice, and it was a good change from the team (don't get me wrong, I love the team, but Andy and Amrita are my age!). The US Ambassador was there, and a few other ambassadors. He had a great speech and it really opened my eyes to the great relationship the US has with Kenya. It's very encouraging! At the beginning of December, the White House is unveiling a new program that is suppose to have a HUGE hand in the fight against HIV and AIDS. I am really looking forward to learning more about the new program. It's amazing what President Bush has done for Kenya and the fight against disease here. The head of PEPFAR in Kenya was also in attendance last night, Buck Buckingham. I was hoping to have a moment with him to chat, but he is quite the busy man. We were all anxious to get home and into bed, so immediately after dinner, we all headed back to the HEART compound. I was starting to feel like I was coming down with something, so I took a Tylenol and jumped in to bed! I slept so good last night :)

Today we had the day off. It was really relaxing and a nice change of pace to stay out of the slums for the day. Although... we did drive by Kibera slums, but we were quite far away. Kibera slums are one of the largest in the world, I think second next to a community outside of Buenos Aires (?). Me, Vickie, Fay and William went into town to pick up the Danes and we were off to the Giraffe Center!! It was so fun. We were allowed to touch the giraffes and feed them, I've got some great pictures. I could have spent all day there. Then, we stopped at Karen Blixen's house (the author of Out of Africa), did a little shopping, then went to the Rotary Club of Nairobi for a cookout. I met up with Lizzy there and we had some great food. We didn't stay for very long. Vickie wanted to get back, and I am really glad we did come back early.

I needed this day to reflect and recover a bit. We still have 2 more days in Mathare, and I want to make the best of them. Nick is supposed to take me to his rescue center for children, and I want to go back to VCT. Wednesday is our one-day safari, and Thursday I leave for home! I can't believe how quickly my time here is going. I'm not quite ready to go home. I've begun to make such great relationships with people here, then I have to leave :( Nick wants me to spend the day at Community Transformers with him on Thursday since my flight isn't until 9:30pm or so. I'm not sure how I'll get out there, but I'd like to spend the day with the guys again. I also wanted to help them a little more with Excel spreadsheets. David has helped them quite a bit, but I want to make sure they have it down before we leave. I also want to sit down with Nick and see if there is anything I can get him or send him from home. He really is starting from scratch, and although they have some great resources and a grant, there is so much more they need to support themselves and their community. Any suggestions?

Please keep reading, and leave me comments or send me emails!! I love reading them and it really means a lot to know you are thinking of me! :) Also, don't forget to check out www.mnpblog.com for pictures from Michael Norwood. He took some great shots while he was here and many of them are from our clinic and the VCT clinic in Mathare that I've been to.

Asante sana! (Thank you!)
Alexandra

1 comment:

AmandaAllen said...

Alex! I am glad you are having a great time and learning alot! Be safe and i can't wait to see you when you get home!!