Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's hard to say goodbye...

A crazy few days it has been! Yesterday was business as usual at the clinic. One of the women that live near our clinic invited us into her home. This was my first time going into a slum home, and I was surprised at how big it really was. Granted, this is a better slum house than most in Mathare, because she had concrete floor as opposed to dirt. She had beautiful black and white photos all over the walls of her family. She had 14 children and one husband (although, her husband had 2 wives). She doesn't speak English, but her daughter translated for us, and told us a story about her husband and some of her children that passed away. She offered us Cokes again, and although we feel awful taking them, it is disrespectful not to. We always give them away to one of our volunteers because we know we don't need them.

We finished up the clinic early on Monday, so headed out to run a few errands. After coming back to the HEART compound, we showered, got ready then were out again for a Nairobi Rotary Club meeting. I'm not even in Rotary and am starting to consider myself one of them! I've been to a few meetings and have met so many Rotary International members! I'm definitely going to look into it when I get home. Anyways, we met Dr. Mir at his club (Dr. Mir has a clinic in Mathare and has been signing all of our registration papers at the clinic). It took us a while to get there with a combination of traffic and getting a little lost. But, we finally made it and did a meet-and-greet with the other members. The president's wife, Cheryl, has started a project on books for younger children about HIV and AIDS. I need to give her a call because she said she would try and get the books to me before I leave. I didn't have a chance today unfortunately, but will try tomorrow or Thursday.

It was tough pulling up in Mathare this morning, knowing it was my last day. I've gotten into a routine, and every day I look more and more forward to seeing the kids and spending time with everyone at Community Transformers. It was a normal day, organizing the kids, getting some good photos, talking to my Kenyan boyfriends :).... the usual! I talked to Stephen for a while today, he works for Hope Worldwide. I've learned a lot from him as well about what he does for the children in his community and his love for them. It's amazing how these people work SO hard for what makes them HAPPY, not what makes them money, and they are really making a difference. Again, I'll say it, they are such an inspiration! They have touched my heart and changed my life. This has definitely been an amazing experience and worth every effort. I had expectations, but they have long been passed!

Before lunch, Nick took me to his rescue center. He has rescued 32 children. One of the little ones is HIV positive. Another, he found near a sewage ditch (and when I put up my pictures, you will see what these ditches look like....). He has 2 rooms I saw that are already set up. One for girls, one for boys. Each room has several bunk beds, but the rooms are VERY small. A few women work there and help watch the kids and feed them. Nick just got another room that he wants to get a TV in and make it a game room for the kids to have a place to play. He told me that many nights he stays there with them until they fall asleep... he just loves those kids. I can't wait to show you my pictures of the center and with some of the children. They weren't all there, because most were still in school! But, I did get to carry around one of the babies. Cutest in the world :) I told Nick he's awesome, and all he said to me was "No, you are awesome..." He really deserves so much credit. I can go home to my bed, my car, good food, a good job, a healthy and loving family, and he will still be at CT working hard for his community... and it really doesn't seem fair.

We cleaned up the clinic this afternoon, packed everything in boxes, and gathered around for a group photo. Nick spoke on behalf of all the Kenyan volunteers and thanked us. I couldn't even look at him in the eye. It was really hard saying goodbye. I gave hugs to all of my closest friends there, Paul, Washington, Eric, Elizabeth, Leah, Charles, Collins and Stephen. I couldn't give Nick a hug, and he even said he didn't want to say anything. He had to come by HEART tonight, but we weren't back yet. I am hoping to get a hold of him on Thursday, and I'm sure he will come out here to say goodbye. We shed some tears, and just held our breath as we walked out of the clinic. Paul and Washington were sitting outside, so I gave them one last "hit the rock" and swallowed hard to run up to the truck. Paul and Elizabeth ended up coming to the truck and waved at us goodbye. I just let my head fall onto the window and kept crying as we drove passed the "hotels," food stands, garbage, fires, children walking in the streets alone, older women carrying very heavy packages on their heads and men trying to bring food home to their families...

These guys and girls are absolutely amazing... and I really can't put my feelings in to words, because there are no words for them. You see pictures, and read stories, but you can never know what it feels like until you have experienced it. The sights, sounds, smells and emotions that come over you are indescribable. I have learned SO MUCH on this trip, and hope to keep my relationships with the Kenyans strong so I can come back and work with them again. I can't wait to start school to continue pushing me forward into helping people in countries like Kenya.

That's all I have for now, we have to be up really early for our treat... the one day safari to Nairobi National Park! I'm looking forward to eating at Carnivore... which is one of the top 10 restaurants in the world! (Or so I've heard). I'll be busy Thursday packing, hopefully seeing Nick one last time, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can grab lunch with Mary (I met Mary through my internship in Paris 2 years ago, she is a board member for the International Union for Health Promotion and Education and lives in Nairobi!) Then, it's off to the airport for my flight Thursday night! I'll be back in the States Friday afternoon, and plan to make another post or two on here with a link to my pictures and a big thank you to everyone who has been reading and who helped make this trip possible for me!

Good night for now and asante sana!
Alexandra

2 comments:

Christina said...

I love reading your posts and can't wait to see your pictures. But I must say I really want you back stateside... i miss you!

AmandaAllen said...

Alex..This one gave me chill bumps..I'm glad you had a great time!! You've done a great thing! I miss you and ready for you to come home! Hopefully I will see you soon!