Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Maria and Timothy

Maria and Timothy are my two new favorite kids (sorry Lillie and Arizona!). They are always hanging around Community Transformers. I think they live in the same little area. I have a great picture with both of them and can't wait to put it up here when I get home. They are so polite and love to hold my hand and of course ask "How are you?!" (I think it might be the only thing they can say in English, besides "I'm fine!")

Today was another jam-packed day, we saw 46 kids and pulled 61 teeth. We had a few screamers, but most of the kids were very good and very strong. Although our team is not as big as it was supposed to be (in the beginning, everyone was to be together- medical, dental, optometry, nurses, etc. and we were to move to a different slum every few days. Instead, we are all split up due to politics in the grants). The weather was really hot... but we are very lucky because we are inside for the whole day and it stays reasonably cool and comfortable! Plus, not many bugs. A few flies make their way in, but that is about it. When Jackson picked us up this afternoon, there was a HUGE traffic jam, people and cars were everywhere, I managed to get a decent video of it all!After the camp today, we stopped for some money, lollipops for the kids, then went and got some posters, chalk, pencils, etc. for a school nearby our camp.

I've made great friends so far (besides Maria and Timothy!) with Paul, Washington, Eric, Nick, Joseph and Charles. Again, they are such an incredible bunch! We've taken a few pictures together, so of course will post those as soon as possible.

I bought a bracelet and necklace from "The Mother" (she is an older woman with AIDS that helps support the young adults at Community Transformers)

Well, I'm going to get a shower, do some journaling and head to bed. It's only 7:00, but I'm exhausted. We have a busy day tomorrow and a reception put on by the U.S. Embassy at an expatriate's house with the entire group that is here in the evening (in all the slums, not just ours). It should be a great event!

No comments: